Farmhouse - West Sussex
A HAUNTED FARMHOUSE & FAMILY HOME
Location: (West Sussex, England)
Date: 20th February 2010
Time: 9:00pm - 3.30am
Barri Ghai (Lead Investigator)
Bongo (Spiritualist Medium)
Matt Watkins (Technical Manager & Investigator)
Sheena Prew (Investigator)
Toni Seale (Investigator)
|LOUNGE||21:00||21C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
|HALLWAY||21:05||20C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
|STAIRCASE||21:11||20C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
|UPPER LANDING||21:13||19-21C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
|MAIN BEDROOM||21:15||20C||1 - 3 mG - Normal Ranges|
|BACK BEDROOM||21:18||18-19C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
|SMALL BEDROOM||21:21||21C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
|BATHROOM||21:25||18C||1 mG - Normal Ranges|
The client contacted GPS to enquire about a female apparition that she and her husband have seen several times in and outside the house.
Our client has kindly provided with almost everything that can be found about this farmhouse.
This farmhouse is a lovely and charming Tudor farm house of considerable size. It is located near the village Washington/West Sussex and lies among the South Downs. Several outer buildings like a barn and workshops belong to the farm, as well as a few acres of land.
The building was first mentioned in 1296 and belonged to Andr (Andrew?) att Sande according to tax records during the reign of Edward I and II, but earth works on the property suggest, that there used to be a settlement even before that time.
In 1327 a woman called Alice turned up in the tax records and there exists an account report from the year 1448/49, concerning the property of a certain Robert Capeleyne. In this report it is mentioned that at least a part of the property formerly belonged to a John at Sonde.
In the 16th Century it was owned by the family Juden/Iden/Judewyne/Jugden (plus other various spellings). They were yeomen and there were a lot of them.
The parish records start in 1558, but the first definite link to the farmhouse is in 1594, when Joan, wife of Philip Rolfe alias Juden, died here. Philip Juden died in 1597, our client even found his last will and testament.
In the 1580’s several major changes were added to the farmhouse. Most of it was rebuilt then.
The following century saw the house and farm occupied by the Parsons family. The Parsons had been in Washington since the start of Parish records in 1558. The Manor of Winston along with various lands, including the farm, passed from John Earl of Thanet to John Fagge of East Hoathly Esc. In 1685 another John Parsons died, and according to his will, he only left his wife 2/-. but his daughters Mary and Anne got £50 each plus a feather bed and sheets. The rest went to the next John.
It seems that around this time most of the farm went to William Wood, whose land surrounded it. There is a possibility that the house was freehold as he was paying the poor rate for the building and farm in 1730.
The next John that owned the building was a carpenter and died in 1737 leaving £22.10.2d. and the building to his widow.
“He had no live beast and Thomas Parsons, brother, is next heir to the premises. But that Mary Parsons, his widow, ought to hold the same for so long time as she shall live chaste and unmarried.”
William Wood sold out to William and Mary French. He was a baker of the Broadway in the Parish of St. Margarets, Sandhills cost him £416. His wife Mary’s father was another John Parson. Who knows which one?
In the following decades the property was let to several tenants. Records show the following names:
Ca. 1740 William and Mary Hronrk
1780 - 82 William Hickex
1783 – 86 John Cease
1787 – 88 John Brown
1789 – 1812 Charles Penfold (overseer to the poor)